They are the champions

Katherine Frey / The Washington Post

Washington Nationals Manager Dave Martinez, left, and first baseman Ryan Zimmerman hoist a flag and the Commissioner’s Trophy after landing at Dulles.

DULLES, Va. — Washington’s latest piece of hardware is home.

The World Series champion Washington Nationals landed at Dulles International Airport with the Commissioner’s Trophy on Thursday at 6:25 p.m., to a reception befitting their captain’s prediction the previous night.

First baseman Ryan Zimmerman foretold of a celebration that would be “absolutely bananas” after the Nationals defeated the Houston Astros, 6-2, in Game 7 of the series to capture the franchise’s first championship.

Players, their families and airport staffers were up to the task upon their arrival home, a potential harbinger of the festivities to come as Washington readies for Saturday’s parade. A media circus camped out on the far end of the airfield to witness players disembarking their charter. Five television stations covered it live.

Airport officials invited seemingly every Nationals fan on the runway to come over, too. Nearly 100 of them waited for the plane to touch down.

About 15 minutes before the plane landed, staff members distributed red rally towels that read, “Fight Finished,” the team’s new slogan. Moments later, an air traffic controller queued up Queen’s “We Are the Champions” on a speaker and placed it on the portable jetbridge.

As the team’s aircraft taxied down the runway, it was greeted by a water cannon salute from two airport firetrucks. The air traffic controller held the speaker aloft and played “Baby Shark.” Zimmerman exited the plane first and waved a red, white and blue team flag as Manager Dave Martinez hoisted high the Commissioner’s Trophy, the latest addition to Washington’s treasure chest.

When the NHL’s Washington Capitals snapped the District of Columbia’s 14-year title drought in 2018 with a Stanley Cup finals triumph, they paraded the trophy around Washington — one of its first stops was Nationals Park — in a fit of revelry those players hoped would inspire D.C.’s other teams; Capitals players partied for days on end.

Since, the WNBA’s Mystics won their first WNBA crown. Then the Nationals mounted an improbable late-season and playoff run, capping it off by beating the American League champion Astros with four wins deep in the heart of Texas.

Immediately, players were eager to show they could party up to a moment for which the region had been waiting 95 years.

In a locker room at Houston’s Minute Maid Park in the early hours of Thursday morning, they guzzled beer, poured various libations over the trophy and sprayed one another with Champagne. The team’s quirky personalities — part of what’s made them so endearing to fans all over the capital region — was on full display. Shortstop Trea Turner wore a North Carolina State football helmet (his alma mater) and danced. Relief pitcher Sean Doolittle wielded a glowing blue lightsaber. Zimmerman, the franchise’s first draft pick after it relocated to Washington from Montreal in 2005, could barely formulate complete sentences in televised interviews.

As each player on the championship team stepped off the plane, Nationals support staffers, who arrived on a separate charter, and airport employees, who were waved past barricades to celebrate up close with the team, cheered them on.

Reserve outfielder Gerardo Parra was greeted with “Baby Shark” claps. Steven Strasburg, who won two games on the mound in the series and was named its most valuable player, was treated to “MVP” chants. Second baseman Howie Kendrick, who hit the home run that gave the Nationals the lead in Game 7, heard his first name repeated, rhythmically, over and over again.

Children walked off the flight wearing Halloween costumes. Among the outfits were a mermaid, Darth Vader, a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle and a child dressed a Max Scherzer.

Fans who wanted to greet players themselves parked in the airport’s cellphone waiting lot, hoping to get some face time with their heroes. The team and airport did not publicize the time of the flight’s arrival, though word leaked out.

Josh Newlon, 31, of Ashburn, Va., spent an hour with his girlfriend, waiting for any sign of the team. Finally, their charter buses, complete with a police escort, roared past. He chased them down and drove alongside until the motorcade reached the Dulles Toll Road.

“As a fan base, we just want to show some love to the team,” he said. “We want to feel as much a part of this as possible, even if that means standing by the side of the road waving a rally towel.”