BENNINGTON — No one was injured in a two-alarm fire at a paper mill Thursday morning, according to officials.
Crews responded to Monadnock Paper Mills Inc. on Antrim Road around 9:45 a.m. Bennington fire Deputy Chief Matthew Hall said the fire was caused by malfunctioning equipment, possibly related to the paper rollers, and took until noon or so to get under control.
“They’re estimating anywhere between $10,000 and $20,000 of damage,” Hall said of the company.
Assistant Chief Keith Nason said he made the call to bump the situation to a second alarm after realizing the fire had spread from the hood of one of the machines into the roof. That brought ladder trucks from surrounding communities to the scene on standby.
“It’s a 200-year-old building, and with all the materials that are in there … We were prepared if it did (spread),” Nason said. “But it didn’t, which is good.”