Fire

HINSDALE — No one was injured Friday afternoon when a first-alarm fire destroyed a two-bay garage, and both vehicles inside, at 179 Plain Road, Hinsdale Fire Chief Terry Zavorotny said.

Firefighters responded to the blaze shortly before 4 p.m. Friday, and had it under control within about 30 minutes, Zavorotny said Monday morning. The fire started when the property owner was using a blow torch to work on one of the vehicles in the detached garage, accidentally sparking the blaze, the fire chief said.

Along with the older model Chevrolet Corvette and the Volkswagen Beetle that were destroyed in the fire, a camper parked next to the wood-frame garage also sustained significant damage, Zavorotny said.

Jack Rooney can be reached at 352-1234, extension 1404, or jrooney@keenesentinel.com. Follow him on Twitter

@RooneyReports.